Monday, August 8, 2011

Les Mis.



While in London, I had the opportunity to see Les Miserables. It was fantastic. AND I was able to see it, albeit standing, for only 10 pounds (roughly 16 dollars). So there I stood, in the back of the Queen's Theater, just outside of Picadilly Circus, for 3 moving hours.

I loved it for a number of reasons. 1. I was able to stand next to the sound booth and talk shop with the front of house engineer. For those of you who care, they're using a DiGiCO SD7, with DPA Cardiod microphones. Everything is in the box-no outboard gear at all. 2. The storyline is moving and touching. I couldn't help but think of my family, my faith, and my devotion to both of them. 3. The performances were outstanding. Jean Valjean was incredible. Bring Him Home was heavenly. I must admit I always thought that song was kind of stupid until I saw it in context and sung with such power and emotion.

So it was great. Though I had to think about the audience. The impression I received about the audience was that they were more into the performances than the message of Les Mis, which I thought was kind of sad. Because the whole musical, in my opinion, is a reflection of one of the last lines of the play penned by Victor Hugo, 'To love another person is to see the face of God.' The musical is about love, devotion, faith, commitment, and integrity... all things that point us to the Master of the universe. Anyway, I hope the message rang through for more than the dude who stood in the back of the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment